Africana Studies Student Racial Justice and Racial Equity Fund Grant
Award Information: The Africana Studies Student Racial Justice and Racial Equity Fund will provide critical support to students at the University of Pittsburgh engaged or wanting to be engaged in research and outreach around racial justice and related matters. Current national and international discourses recognize the significance of these issues, and we aim to offer resources that will equip students to become knowledgeable participants and leaders in these discourses and this wider area of study. The grants from this fund can support a range of research concerned with addressing inequities, disparities, and inequalities that impact people of African descent including (but not limited to) data collection projects; projects with organizations focused on remedying and addressing such matters across a variety of arenas; professional development and leadership opportunities that prepare students to advocate for racial justice in any career; unpaid internships connected to advancing racial justice and people of African descent; and student participation in conferences/workshops and programs on racial and social justice issues.
Award Amount: The maximum grant amount is $1,500 per student. Students must state the exact requested amount in their proposals. Group applications are welcome.
• Be an Africana Studies major/minor, or an undergraduate student who has taken or is currently enrolled in a course in the Department of Africana Studies. Priority will be given to students who have declared majors and minors in Africana Studies.
• Be enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh when using the award. (Graduates or upcoming Spring 2023 graduates are ineligible).
• Be in good academic standing (2.0 GPA minimum).
• Be prepared and willing to submit a one-page report to the Department of Africana Studies that provides an overview of the work conducted (what was accomplished) with the funding following completion of the project.
Application Materials: To be considered for funding, please submit the following materials to the coordinator for the Department of Africana Studies Tiara NIcholson at email@example.com
• Resume/Curriculum Vitae that includes relevant work and/or course experience
• Most recent transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
• A 500 to 1100-word proposal narrative that specifically details the activity or activities for which funding is being requested. The narrative must describe how racial justice or matters related to racial justice are directly connected to the proposed undertaking(s). Include the exact amount of funding being requested; the requested amount must be reasonable for the activities proposed. At the top of the first page of the proposal, students must include their 1) name, 2) major/s and minor/s, and 3) year in college.
Deadline: Submit all documents via email to Tiara Nicholson at firstname.lastname@example.org
by April 22, 20223.
Notification of Grant Recipients: Grantees will be notified by May 1, 2023.
Department Coordinator of Africana Studies
University of Pittsburgh
Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences
4141 Wesley W. Posvar Hall
Microsoft Teams Phone: (412) 383-0186
Past Award Winners:
Sydney Morris (Africana Studies major, junior); $1500
Project Focus: Addressing Racial Inequities via a Sports Medicine Minority Outreach Initiative
Olivia Francis (Africana Studies minor, senior); $1500
Project Focus: Addressing Racial Inequities in Public Health (Specifically on Kenya via Study Abroad)
Chinyere Okonkwo (student in our courses, sophomore); $550
Project Focus: Addressing Inequities in Policies concerning African Immigrants and Assimilation (Specifically on USA & France via Study Abroad)