Dr. Fapohunda has been teaching since 2008 in the department of Africana Studies. She was a visiting assistant professor of Behavioral and Community Health Sciences (2010-2012) at the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health. Over the past 10 years, she has conducted several studies among African Americans, Africans in the Diaspora, and on the African Continent. The focus of her research is “Healthy Community for Black Immigrants” in Allegheny County, PA. She has trained healthcare practitioners on cancer awareness, screening, early diagnoses and treatment in Nigeria. She is an epidemiologist and health educator with over 20 years’ experience of running her own consulting company in public health, conducting needs assessments and program evaluations on the effectiveness of numerous community-based initiatives related to health disparities in both behavioral and physical health, including nutrition, smoking cessation, HIV/AIDS, and oral health in Black communities.
- Dr.PH, Epidemiology - University of Pittsburgh, Graduate School of Public Health (GSPH) 1999
- MPH, Epidemiology - University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health (GSPH) 1997
- MS, Food and Nutrition - Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP), Indiana, PA 1992
- Fapohunda, A., Fakolade, A., & Ilegbune, O. (2021). Leveraging eLearning tools to improve cervical and breast cancer screening and diagnosis in Lagos, Nigeria. Cities & Health, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1080/23748834.2021.1907500
- Fapohunda, A., Fakolade, A., Omiye, J., Afolaranmi, O., Arowojolu, O., Oyebamiji, T., Nwogu, C., Olawaiye, A., & Mutiu, J. (2020). Cancer presentation patterns in Lagos, Nigeria: Experience from a private cancer center. Journal of Public Health in Africa, 11(2). https://doi.org/10.4081/jphia.2020.1138
- Turk, M. T., Kalarchian, M. A., Nolfi, D., & Fapohunda, A. (2019). Prevention and treatment of overweight and obesity among African immigrant populations: A systematic review of literature. Annual review of Nursing Research, 37 (1), 161-186.
- Ibe-Lamberts, Kelechi D.; Ilunga Tshiswaka, Daudet; and Fapohunda, Abi (2018) "Exploring the Cultural Perceptions of Physical Activity among Transnational Nigerian Immigrants," Journal of Health Disparities Research and Practice: Vol. 11 : Iss. 4 , Article 3.
- Karen E. Jakub, Melanie T. Turk, Abi Fapohunda, Rick Zoucha: Cultural Beliefs, Perceptions, and Practices of Young Adult Offspring of African Immigrants Regarding Healthy Eating and Activity. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 2018; Vol. 29 Issue 6, 548-554 https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659618761532
- Daudet IIunga Tshiswaka, Kelechi D. Ibe-Lamberts, Guy-Lucien S. Whembolua, Abi Fapohunda, Eugene S. Tull: “Going to the Gym Is Not Congolese’s Culture”: Examining Attitudes Toward Physical Activity and Risk for Type 2 Diabetes Among Congolese Immigrants. The Diabetes Educator, 2017; Vol. 44, No 1, 94-102.
- Melanie T. Turk, Abimbola Fapohunda, Rick Zoucha: Using Photovoice to explore Nigerian Immigrants’ Eating and Physical Activity in the United States. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 2015; 47 No. 1, 16-24.
- Abimbola Fapohunda & Jerome Taylor: Addressing Consumer Access and Utilization in the Hill District among African Americans Using the Behavioral Health Initiative Model. Journal of Race and Policy. Spring/Summer. 2014; Vol. 10. No.1, 29 – 48.
- Virginia D, Wagner M, Fapohunda A: How Outbreaks of Infectious Disease are Detected: A Review of Surveillance Systems and Outbreaks. Public Health Reports / Vol. 119 / September-October 2004.
- Healthcare Practitioner Training on Cancer Awareness, Screening, Early Diagnoses and Treatment. Lagos , Nigeria
- An Overview: Cancer Screening and Referral. Lagos, Nigeria.
- Healthcare Practitioner Survey. Lagos, Nigeria.
- Cancer Treatment and Outcome in Sub-Sahara Africa and Experience from a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Lagos, Nigeria.
- Peer Volunteer Living Donation Home-based Education Project. London, United Kingdom
- University of Pittsburgh Summer Abroad Program in Affiliation with the University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Member of the Board of Directors - East Liberty Family Health Care Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- Member of the Board of Trustees - Foundation of Cancer Care
- Member of Rotary Club of Monroeville
- African American Health Issues
- Health in the African Diaspora
- Being Human in the Age of COVID-19
- COVID-19, Racism and Public Health